Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hound Control



A couple of weeks ago, my blogging friend Wimsey mentioned that he felt bad that I had to wear a head collar. Now, I admit, it's not on the top of my list, and it does distort my otherwise handsome mug, but it had turned out to be the best choice for me. Many alternative devices of hound "control" have been tried, as evidenced by the picture above.

Leashes, on the left, include a long canvas line for teaching the recall. (do I hear laughter?) Alternative types of leads were tried to reduce towing. The "Wacky Walker", shown second from the top, is a stretchy tube, which is supposed to cause a canine to self-correct. Again, laugher ensues. A couple of shorter leashes are actually useful for the secondary collar which is used with the head collar. The blue device is intended to allow two dogs to be walked on one leash. Mom has not been brave enough to try that one yet.

In the center - harnesses! Top, just a plain, everyday harness. Wonderful for towing humans! I can lean my whole body weight into it. (actually, mom was hoping for a tracking class around here, but none were scheduled. The people in charge said we wanted to "cheat" because I was a bloodhound. Harumph. And would that mean that those with Shelties were "cheating" in agility class? Why is it so hard to get respect as a hound?)

Anyway, I digress. The middle harness is an Easy Walk harness, from the folks who created the Gentle Leader head collar. That one didn't last long as I managed to flop down in a mud puddle and wiggle my way nearly out of it, causing great stress to my humans. Another prospect, retired to the "tried it, didn't work" drawer.

The black Gentle Leader is an old style model. Note the buckle instead of a snap fastener. It belonged to Beau originally, but when my mom & dad took it to class to try for me, two trainers attempted to buckle it on to me. Ha. Squirming, uncooperative hound - 1. Buckle Gentle Leader - 0.

Now, the prong collar. I understand Wimsey and Gus are both fitted with this with success. In my case, the collar was applied, I showed no attention to the fact I was supposed to realize that there was this collar around my neck and pulled even harder, and it was feared I might hurt myself. One more option retired.

The last two collars are actually useful for the upcoming winter - a blinky collar and a reflective collar to help with visibility on those dark winter evenings.

Hope you enjoyed this visit to the museum of failed hound control devices!

3 comments:

Wimsey said...

Bwahaha! Oh Bentley those are hilarious. I love how humans try to control us. They really should just go with the flow. The prong doesn't really work does it? I can pull through it too, but they figure it's better than a flat collar.

Thanks for the laugh. And why in the world would a bloodhound in a tracking class be cheating??!?

Wimsey

Bernie said...

Hound control is an oxymoron... Your parents must have spent quite a bit on those. Bernie has a chain collar and I do OK with my harness most of the time. Retractable leashes did not work, though... Mom took a few spills figuring that out.

Edie and Gus said...

Love the collection, Bentley! My prong has been retired after a recent "incident" which involved meeting a loose dog, acting like a bucking bronco and several bruises to Edie's arm. (oops) I am back to the dreaded Gentle Leader. She feels it gives superior hound control- until I decide it's time for a run!
Your impressive collection is a testament to your houndly tenacity. Keep up the excellent work!

The Gusinator