Sunday, August 9, 2009

My new nickname is Zippy

If you'll take a look at Wimsey's comment on my previous post, you might see where this is going.

I was somewhat slowed in the process of breaking in (i.e. destroying) the new bed by the fact that it was a special fabric, made especially to hold up to the toughest of chewers. (guess they didn't count on the shrewd craftiness of a bloodhound!)

I analyzed the bed carefully when I was able, looking to determine a weak area for attack, all the while lying calmly upon it when I was under observation. Then, when mom & dad left for a couple of hours, I went to work. A hole was rent along the seam of the flap where the zipper was attached. Once that had been accomplished, I was able to begin to pull apart the zipper and begin to detach its brass teeth.

Unfortunately, they returned before I was able to access the stuffing and really have some fun. Still, there was a fairly good show of distress. The various parts were collected and an attempt was made to determine how many pieces might have been ingested. Since the zipper teeth were metal and a bit sharp, a consulting call was made to the vet-on-call. Based on the size and material, it was determined that I should be fine. There has been some extra attention paid to my leavings on my trips to the backyard. Somehow, my humans seem less than excited by this duty.

After it was determined that my health and well being was not in any immediate danger, mom set to work getting in contact with Orvis, the purveyor of the bed. With absolutely outstanding customer service, an e-mail was received in less than 30 minutes, indicating that a refund for the cost of the bed will be issued. A 5 star rating to Orvis for the BEST customer service!

5 comments:

Bernie said...

Oh dear... I think nothing can be called hound proof! Good job, Zippy!

Wimsey said...

Woohoo! You go Bentley! I knew nothing was hound proof. I'm so proud of you.

Wimsey

Edie and Gus said...

You know, Zippy, a hound can ingest and poop out an AMAZING amount of items. I once ate most of a comforter filled with fluff, a remote control and even a CACTUS. Yep. Really. The whole thing. Pointy spikes and all. So keep up the good work, I am proud of you, too!!

Gus

Edie and Gus said...

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention something. If your humans ever find a bloodhound-proof bed, we want to know about it. When I am crated, I still have nothing to lay on but the hard floor. I eat EVERYTHING, including carpet.

Bentley said...

A cactus! Gus, that is...well...wow.