Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The nose knows

In order to keep my ears as clean as possible at mealtimes, the humans have thoughtfully provided me with a snood. I don't think they are traditionally used for bloodhounds, but it does the trick. The ears don't get gunky and usually that snood is a good thing.

However, this afternoon, when I got done eating, I could smell that there was an errant bit of kibble - somewhere! Now, I'm not the neatest eater in the world, so there are usually a few scattered on the rug, or even over by the fridge. But today...I could smell it, but I just couldn't find it. Human mom was getting a bit frustrated with me, 'cause I just wouldn't stop sniffing. She couldn't see anything on the floor, but I knew it had to be around somewhere. Well, when she finally slipped that snood off - there it was! That errant little kibble had been caught up in the folds of the snood! My nose knew it was around somewhere - the nose knows!

4 comments:

Edie and Gus said...

Hi Bentley!
My name is Gus, and I'm a two year old Alaskan bloodhound. I am an avid reader of Wimsey's blog, and saw your comment. My human, Edie, is AMAZED at your good behavior after viewing your video! She would like some training tips from someone who obviously has been quite successful with a breed of hound not known for trainability. (Take it easy on me, okay??)

I live with 2 other hounds: a treeing walker coonhound named Dimond Willow (spelled the Alaskan way) and Molly, a bluetick/walker hound.
Needless to say, our house is quite insane!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Trusty Gus, Bloodhound of the North

Bentley said...

Hi Gus (and Edie, and Dimond Willow, and Molly too!)

Thanks for visiting the blog. I like Wimsey's blog too. He has such great adventures. My town's a lot smaller and a lot less interesting.

Thanks for the compliment about training, but my human said that it should be noted that the video shows only a 30 second portion of a 24 hour day. I think she means I'm not so good the rest of the time? It really helps that she's holding the food bowl. ;-)

Bentley said...

Gus,

I forgot to ask - do you have a blog too? I tried to look and couldn't see if you do or not?

Edie and Gus said...

No blog -- no time! We do like to read and comment on other blogs occasionally. Keep up the good work on yours!