I was reading a post comment from Gus. He commented that there were not squirrels to track where he lives, nor many rabbits. (on the other hand, I guess there are bears - not sure I'd like that!)
I realized I should be happy that there are abundant squirrels here to sniff after, as well as rabbits. We even have a rabbit that calls the backyard home. He hides under the deck when we go out to the yard, but I know he's there! OK, maybe I shouldn't admit that. A rabbit should be afraid of a hound such as me, and should have left immediately upon learning that it is MY backyard, never to return. Oh well.
While they don't turn up in the back yard, there were deer trails to check out when we went for that walk in the park, and I might even have detected a wild turkey. There have been a lot of Canadian geese flying over lately, but those are more attractive to Beau than me...but I do have to admit that sometimes all the honking does get my attention.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Bentley,
You know, I never stopped to think about the fact that there are so few small animals to scent where I live. We are in the interior of Alaska, and live quite high up on a wooded hillside. We have extremely frigid temperatures in the winter. We rarely see rabbits (hares) and if we do, they are at the bottom of the hill. We do see fox fairly often, but nowhere near the house. We have to be very careful year round about looking carefully before we go outside, as we often have moose in the yard. Sometimes they are right outside the door. In the winter they will bed down near the house. In Alaska, the moose are very large, and they will charge and stomp a dog to death quickly. My girls have to be very careful walking up to the bus stop in the dark because of the moose as well. We have grizzlies in the area, too. We also have wolves. Last year about this time, a pack of wolves went around at night and early morning eating dogs. It was pretty scary, and it lasted several weeks. Humans could not catch them, so we all had to be on high alert. Fortunately, they moved on, as apparently other prey became more abundant.
We do have ptarmigan and grouse occasionally, and boy oh boy are they fun to chase!
We are fully into winter here. Another 5 inches or so of snow fell last night. The kids are sledding, people are skiing, and dogmushers are breaking out the gear! I enjoy pushing the snow along with my nose. Up here the snow is so dry that it's like powder. No snowmen or snowballs to be made here---ever!
You should watch the show on the Discovery Channel this week on the Iditarod. I think it's on Tuesday. We love Lance Mackey, the latest Iditarod/Yukon Quest hero! Edie & the girls are going to break out the dogsled anytime. Sigh. Such a humiliating event for a bloodhound...
It's really been fun reading your blog. We are enjoying the contact from what we call "the lower 48!" It makes the long winter days a little easier.
Your friend in the snow,
Gus
Gus & Edie, we're enjoying learning about life in your state too.
We're in south central Minnesota, so it does get hot in the summer and cold in the winter (but not as cold as you get!). Didn't know that the snow there is always fluffy/dry snow. We can get that kind or also the heavy, wet snow.
The Iditarod special on TV sounds interesting - I'll have to see if I can steal the remote from the humans. They seem to like this thing called baseball...
Stay warm Gus!
Bentley
Hi guys,
My humans seem obsessed with crime shows. Perhaps they'll send me out to work for the local police force as a tracking dog... hmmmm... that would involve early mornings, so perhaps not. The moose and wolves sound scary. We have lots of rabbits and raccoons in the DC area and had a fox in the park last year. The raccoons are fierce--we heard a couple of them fighting on the weekend and high-tailed it home. Since I grew up in Georgia, I never really saw snow until last year. Mom and Dad thought it was really cute when I ran around chasing snowflakes. I chase butterflies in the summer, too.
Hmmm, Central Park has squirrels, geese, ducks, pigeons, rats, swans and raccoons. I've seen parrots, cats and ferrets on leashes, but I guess they got rid of any big game here. How sad for me!
Wimsey
Post a Comment