Sunday, October 26, 2008

Let it snow



Yes, it's snowing. Now, I realize this is nothing compared to what Gus, the hound from Alaska, has on the ground, but it's the first snow of the season here. I declined to appear in the video and my human mom said something about that it didn't turn out as good as she would have liked (she's still trying to understand better how to best edit the videos).

Anyway, those are some snowflakes flying past (the winds were gusting to close to 50 mph) and there are a few leaves mixed in too. And yes, that's the same backyard from the previous post that was nearly leaf-free yesterday. Oh boy, new leaves on the ground to snuffle! The snow did stick around on the grass for awhile, but I'm sure it'll be gone soon...but I'm not worried. It'll be back to stay for awhile pretty soon. And then I'll really have some fun.

3 comments:

Edie and Gus said...

Wow, 50 mph gusts? We don't get that very often here in the interior of Alaska. I guess that's why you have amazing snow drifts in your part of the country. We just get snow, no drifts. When does your snow stay for the winter?

We are very glad that we have a lot of snow on the ground, because it's supposed to get to 30 below zero tonight. The snow insulates our water lines, and it is not good when the temperature drops and the lines freeze.

Were your humans disappointed to see leaves all over the yard again? They worked so hard on them!

That was a great video. We always like to see what the rest of the world looks like! We are hoping that you will be in the next video. I'm sure it will be lively!!

Stay warm,
Gus
PS I am not afraid of the plow, I just think I should be out there helping, not stuck inside!!

Bentley said...

Gus, I'm thinking the next time my mom gets the camera out and *doesn't* want me in the picture, then I'll be sure to be in it. That sounds like a good plan doesn't it?

My guardians weren't too upset about the leaves. They said it usually takes more than one round of raking to get them cleaned up. But, it's worth it to have lots of trees in the yard.

It'll be a little while yet before we have snow that stays. It really does vary from year to year. Once, it snowed over 2 feet on Halloween. But, probably sometime in late November/early December for sure, and it'll probably stay until around mid March. We might see a string of below zero days in January. Again, it can really vary from year to year...as far as how much snow, and how cold or warm (relatively speaking) the temps are.

My human mom grew up in the southwest of Minnesota, where it is windy most of the time. They are putting up lots of wind turbines in that area to generate electricity. It usually isn't quite as windy here, but yes, we do get the drifts! (an aside from the human - my dad always said he wouldn't mind how much snow the good Lord gave us, but he wished He'd put it where He wanted it the first time. *smile*)

Wimsey said...

Bentley, were your ears sticking straight out back from the wind? We have gusty days too, and Maria always says that when my ears are straight back it's the funniest thing.